MULTICULTURAL AND CROSS-CULTURAL COMPETENCY
[PADLOCK EDUCATIONAL CONSULTING SERVICES]
THE B.A.C.K.P.A.C.K. CONCEPT
The BACKPACK is a unique multicultural conceptual framework to help teachers who teach diverse students populations to align their teaching styles with the learning styles of their students. It is about what the teachers teach their students, how best to teach them what they teach them, and the best materials to use in teaching them. It deals with the teachers' knowledge of the subject matter, but most importantly, the teachers' knowledge of their students' and the teachers' understanding of their own cultural scripts.
When the students' cultural scripts conflict with the teachers' cultural scripts, the result is cultural clash.
MULTICULTURAL AND CROSS-CULTURAL COMPETENCY TRAINING
Our diversity and cultural competence training is designed to help healthcare professionals, educators, teachers, social workers, managers, organizations, staff, schools, and community to:
1. Increase their awareness of their own cultural filters and those of their patients, students, their workers, and others and how these filters color interactions, interpretations, and behaviors;
2. Increase their knowledge and understanding of cultural influences on the patient care process, teaching-learning process, staff-to-staff and individual-to-individual relationships;
3. Reduce anxiety they may be experiencing related to intercultural interactions in a clinical setting, classroon, work environment or community context, and
4. Develop skills related to intercultural communication.
Through a variety of teaching methods, particpants will
1. Increase their awareness that individuals' values may vary along the dimension of cultural variability: individualism-collectivism, Low/High context communication. power distance, uncertainty avoidance, masculinity-femininity.
2. Promote cultural self-awareness through opportunities for reflection and discussion.
3. Increase knowledge and understanding of how the dimensions of individualism-collectivism, Low/High context communication. power distance, uncertainty avoidance, masculinity-femininity. are manifested in healthcare provider and patient, teacher and student , supervisor and employee or individual and individual interactions, interpretations, and behaviors.
4. Reduce anxiety and uncertainty by identifying when cultural differences along the individualism-collectivism, Low/High context communication. power distance, uncertainty avoidance, masculinity-femininity. are affecting the interactions in the different settings.
5. Develop skills in application of the culture bump process to analyze and resolve cultural clashes related to the dimensions of individualism-collectivism, Low/High context communication. power distance, uncertainty avoidance, masculinity-femininity.